Share and let this blog fly!

Bookmark and Share

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Disciples' Blindspots (Matt 25-28)

It breaks my heart knowing that I also have those blindspots after reflecting about how the Twelve Disciples had their blindspots. Those twelve disciples had heard many prophecies that came to them directly from Jesus' mouth, yet they did not understand them til the day of Jesus' resurrection. Man, they are truly blind! Well, me two! Well, can I have the permission to add this, you three?

-Judas said to Jesus, "Is it I [who will betray you], Rabbi?" Jesus told him, "You have said so."

-Jesus said to them, "You will all fall away because of me this night. For it is written, "I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered. [Jesus quoted from Zech 13:7]"

What did those disciples do after they heard what Jesus had said about what is to come? The Bible didn't say anything about how they passionate did something about those prophecies. They probably simply denied those prophecies just like how Peter denied, "Even if I must die with you, I will not deny you!" And all the disciples said the same. Sometimes Jesus' prophecies are hard to believe, "No way!" Those disciples completely forgot what Jesus said, even Peter forgot that a rooster will crow three times. Peter denied Jesus til he heard the third crow and his eyes met Jesus' sympathy eyes. Peter finally checked his blindspot.

Why did it broke my heart when I understood that we all had the blindspots?

Let us look at how the disciples respond to Jesus' plea. "Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to his disciples, 'Sit here, while I go over there and pray.'... 'My soul is very sorrowful, even to death; remain here, and watch with me.'... And he came to the disciples and found them sleeping. And he said to Peter, 'So, could you not watch with me one hour? Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation.'"

Why didn't they pray earnestly like Jesus did? They had their blindspots. Therefore they didn't see the whole picture. They were unprepared. And they fled when Jesus was crucified. It broke my heart because those disciples stumbled unprepared, but I am grateful that they got up after the fall to finish their race.

Let us check our blindspots.

No comments:

Post a Comment