Share and let this blog fly!

Bookmark and Share

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Ministering Cross-Culturally

"When Micronesians get together to work, their social interaction is just as important to them as getting the job done. Unfortunately, many task-oriented missionaries fail to comprehend or accept such a value. As a consequence, they end up rejecting the very people to whom they feel called to minister." -Ministering Cross-Culturally

I love those Micronesians! They valued the people more than the success. That's what Jesus did. But he didn't value only the people, he also valued the time. In fact, he missed a meal due to busyness that his disciples had to tell him to get away from the people. What did Jesus say? He told them that they need to get away and find food to feed them instead of sending the hungry people away. Jesus didn't stop interacting with the people, but he didn't pause his task either. He valued both equally. Are we a task-oriented or a person-oriented?

Well, I'm seasonal task-oriented and seasonal person-oriented. When I faced the relationship barriers, I became task-oriented person. When I lacked the time of solitude or was filled with new people, I became person-oriented person. In fact, I think I've been person-oriented person for past 3 weeks in Nicaragua, I admit that I carried the Bible with me a lot in hope to catch up with my fromgardentocity.com reading plan. I've been lagging a book behind for the first time! And I think that means I just passed the test as a missionary.

"If we are not meeting people and loving them through interaction, we have lost sight of the Great Commission and our activities lose significance."

Who do you think you need to interact within your mission field?

No comments:

Post a Comment