Share and let this blog fly!

Bookmark and Share

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Deaf/ASL Ministry Website

I'm doing a bit of researching of Deaf ministry websites this morning. I decided to link few websites and link my thoughts here.

The Rock Church & World Outreach Center - San Bernardino, CA

I love this church! I attended this church with my family for 7 years, the longest ever! When we first attended this church, the usher was willingly to write us many pages of the sermon! My mom passed it to dad, then to my brother, and then to me. Pastor Cobrae later announced about the need of ASL interpreter, about whether anybody in the church knows some signing language. One hand raised. That was Jay. She only knew the basics. So my mom taught her as she interpreted. She picked it up through action! But it took few years before the Deaf ministry began to expand slowly with few committed Deaf members and few interpreters. And now the Deaf ministry continues. Reality.

Willow Creek Community Church - Chicago, IL

My current church, National Community Church (NCC), is strategically aligned with Willow Creek Assocation, which is part of this church. This associate had been providing a small group training for NCC members. I once tried to meet up with Deaf ministry leaders there on way to Wheaton, IL for IgniteASL project, but we were tight with our schedule. The connection cafe is where they will support the Deaf by providing interpreters by their request. Resourceful.

Creekside Ministries - Fishers, IN

I find it odd that this church isn't called a church nor a ministry, but ministries. It's a plural. If you look closer, you will learn that this church is a blend of 200 Deaf and hearing people, bridging the gap between two different people group, which resulted in a ministry where the people are willing to step out of comfort zones! This ministry is an unique ministry in nation wide. This ministry had been in my head for few years now. I will need to pay a visit! The weekend of Thanksgiving? Reconciliation.

It takes complexion to develop an integrated ministries. But it is possible with the Christ, Paul believed in this and he wrote, "neither jews nor gentiles, neither males nor females, neither slave nor free, but we are one through the Christ."

With our prayers and our actions, we could have an integrated ministries in DC of 200 Deafies and Hearies! Maybe with few churches involved. Reality. Resouceful. Reconciliation.

No comments:

Post a Comment