Share and let this blog fly!

Bookmark and Share

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Inclusive Church: Karoke Program & Other Resources

St. Clair Shores Deaf Church in Detroit, Michigan presented various resources that created an inclusive church. Pastor Ron Dettloff obviously had used up all of his 31 years of experience as an interpreter and a pastor. He started his ministry in 1980. I saw the evidence of warmth between him and congregation and between Deaf interpreters and Deaf blind.

Everything seemed so natural to them. I saw a lot of laughter and laughed myself. I quickly compliment the body of Christ on the platform when I was asked to present my testimony and my ministry. My uncle and aunt had beforehanded spread the rumors about my visit, thus they asked me to share so I did. He then shared my compliment as a great example of edifying others not self in his sermon. In Proverb 30:32 it says that it is foolish for us to lift ourselves up. So as a guest there I complimented the church and then the church complimented me. That's the blood flowing!

With that flowing blood, I believe that this church strived to include everyone, including two Deaf blind and people with the inability to read. I saw the members rotating naturally to interpret for the Deaf blind without anybody scheduling the rotation. I saw the members signing the music by reading the red-colored lyrics syncing the voices from the CD that were created through the Karoke program. I saw some members, with or without the inability to read, volunteered to sign the signwriting (www.signwriting.org/about/what) verses to us. I saw that I am a guest among the Body of Christ feeling at home. That's the blood flowing!

Now I look forward to visit another church in another state, Wisconsin, this Friday as a guest, who might get on the platform once again due to a rumor of a guest speaker, before returning to DC.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

No comments:

Post a Comment