Share and let this blog fly!

Bookmark and Share

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Fasting for the Workers

In a parable, Jesus told of the Pharisee who prayed to himself, "God, I thank You that I am not like other men- extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess." That's nuts! Those Pharisees fasted twice a week, which is a total of 104 days out of 365. The narcissists.

If you read futher into the passage, you will see that Jesus had chosen this tax collector because he is humble. He beats his breast and cried, "God, be merciful to me, a sinner!" It's not about whether we should push ourself, but whether we do it right. It's all about loving God more than ourselves. It's all about loving the people more than ourselves.

Yet, I've learned that the humblest people in the Bible also prayed and fasted often. Jesus told the disciples to increase their faith by praying and fasting after they failed to cast out a demon. David humbled himself by fasting and mourning for his friend or his brother when they were sick. Early Christians, especially Paul, had fasted often to prepare the others for their work- to carry out a commission. I don't know how often they prayed and fasted, but I've also heard of different stories of the people who did.

John Nelson Hyde- "Praying Hyde"
If on any day four people were not converted, Hyde said at night there would be such a weight on his heart he could not eat or sleep until he had prayed through to victory. The number of new converts continually grew.

No comments:

Post a Comment