Share and let this blog fly!

Bookmark and Share

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pentcostal Prayer

What is a Pentcostal Prayer? It is a full 10 days of prayer in the same room. To spread it out, it would consist a total of 240 hours of prayer at a specific location. I figured that it would be a total of 48 weeks of 5 days a week hourly prayer commitment.

I started this experiment right after the Bible Reading Marathon at the Captiol on May 2nd at 6-7AM. Somehow this became my routine to get up at around 5AM to get to the Gallaudet chapel for a 6AM prayer. It lasted for about 3 months (6-12 weeks) before I stopped. I recalled that I once got worn out for some reason that I didn't want to walk an half hour to pray.

For the past few weeks, I've been looking through my journal and blogs for any specific prayer answered through this experiment. I was disappointed that I didn't write a prayer journal, so I didn't know when I actually stopped to pray at the chapel- probably sometime in mid-July or August. But I knew what I had prayed about:

(1) I prayed for a new place to live and received it without searching- my landlord informed me of the place. Few hours later, I went to grocercy with a friend and I learned that she didn't find an available apartment so she thought of me when I also thought of her. So we settled to be a roommate.
(2) I prayed for a sublet or two and received two sublets without advertising. A friend called me an hour after I visited the house to inform me about his friend needing a place to stay in July and I roared with this friend. So I signed the lease.
(3) I prayed that the moving will work out without me as I go on a mission trip to Guatemala. A NCCer emailed me about whether I cancelled my trip because I set a farewell party on the day of our departure, which I read at chapel. I apologized and changed the date. But as I prayed, I felt compelled to cancel the trip to be present to move things. I love it when I learned that God wanted me to do the very thing I said no to. Especailly when God replaced it with something better! A month later I learned that I was immediately replaced by a lady who also emailed the leader that she felt compelled to participate this trip and God worked it out for her! Double prayer answered. We bonded.
(4) And more.

It was crazy when I thought about those things. I couldn't deny that those things came from praying at the chapel. I believe that more prayers will come answered this year from the 30-60 hours of prayer in 2011.

I decided to commit to 240 hours of prayer this year at the chapel. This time I will find a prayer partner as someone recommended, "Iron sharpens iron, as one man sharpens another (Prov 27:17)." I'm leading a small group of prayer on Mondays instead of praying alone, but I welcome the others to come on other days as well. I intend to stay in DC throughout the most of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment