Share and let this blog fly!

Bookmark and Share

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

It's Too Much, I Wanna Die!!! (1 Kings 18-20)

Whoa, it's a big switch from fearless Elijah to Elijah living in fear!

Elijah once overcame and mocked 450 false prophets who called on Baal with God on his side! He sang around 450 false prophets, "Your god is probably resting, sleeping, or go out on a journey!" Yeah he is making fun of them because he is over confident in God! He even confronted the people: "How long will you go limping between two different opinions [lukewarm]? If you follow God, follow Him; but if Baal, then follow him." He also poured four jars of water upon the burnt offering and on the wood three times, so that they are in the trench and then the Lord consumed everything when Elijah called Him!

But the switch came when he heard the threat from Jezebel and flee in fear, "I WANNA DIE!" Why did the switch occured? Now Elijah entered a different environment, he just entered into an environment of constantly living in danger and rejection. He had two choices, to follow the worldly ways or to keep following God's ways. So he shouted, "I WANNA DIE!" because he wanted the third choice, which doesn't exist yet and never did! But our God is all-knowing God, He knew and understood that Elijah felt overwhelmed, so He ministered to him and took him on a 40 day journey to be with Him! Then on the end of 40 day journey, He told him to stand on the mount before Him and He passed by! Here came strong wind that tore the mountains and broke the rocks into piece, then the earthquake, then the fire! After He showed him His power to show him that He is a lion, He then whispered in a voice like a kitten to Elijah, telling him what to do!

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."
- 2 Corinthians 12:9

Elijah story reminds me of the story of Bruchko that I used to listen to when I was a little girl in Youth With A Mission training with my family. Bruchko is about "a young nineteen years old boy who heads into the jungles to evangelize a murderous tribe of South American Indians. For Bruce Olson (the author) it meant capture and torture, but what he discovered revolutionized the world of missions." I listened to that story once, but someday I will read it firsthand myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment