Share and let this blog fly!

Bookmark and Share

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Afflicted At Every Turn... (2 Cor 7-8)

Sometimes we felt trapped at every turn! One way or another, we will always face those obstacles! What do we do? Paul felt that way once, "we were afflicted (hurt) at every turn - fighting without and fear within. But God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus." Sometimes there's nothing we can do, but to do what is right in His sight and allow Him to send someone to encourage us like how God sent Titus to encourage them!

Sometimes it is tough to be able to please God and please our sisters and brothers at the same time when they don't think alike! But Paul encouraged us to make an effort, "For we aim at what is honorable not only in the Lord's sight but also in the sight of man." Maybe we are in a situation where we are trying to please God by submitting to our bosses, our parents, our coaches, our teachers, or our supervisors although they aren't fair! I recalled when I once was a student, I usually follow every directions and finish my assignments. My habit was consistent, but I later found out that few of my teachers began to use my commitment as a tool to push other students to finish theirs as well! Those teachers didn't realize that they are using 'deadly comparison'! So my peers began to beg me to throw away my assignment in order to be on their side, saying, "we didn't know" or "we couldn't finish our assignment because..." or creating any other excuses! I was tempted to please them because I don't want to be on teacher's side because I knew that it is wrong to compare! I also don't want to be considered as those "goody-goody" people. I want to take away the privilege from my teachers to compare me with the others. But I knew that I will be afflicted one way or another. So I chose to please Him by doing what's right, by not compromising my integrity. Yea, as I looked back, I realized that I could have talked with my teacher about how comparing may hurt their self-esteem, it's what I call a 'deadly comparison'. But if my teacher refused to listen, then there is nothing I can do but to keep my integrity so that I may be blameless in every point. We cannot do anything about what others may feel about us, but we can do our part by doing what's honorable before God and men.

"At every point you've proved yourself innocent in the matter."

No comments:

Post a Comment