Share and let this blog fly!

Bookmark and Share

Friday, June 11, 2010

Present Action, Away Speaking (2 Cor 9-10)

"I who am humble when face to face with you, but bold toward you when I am away!" It's hard to imagine Paul like me or you people! I once asked my friends whether I should tell a guy that I liked him because I want to get it over with! But my friends once told me that it's better to tell a guy that I like him face to face. So I ended up saying nothing about it because I couldn't muster up a courage to say it in front of him. I am a bit more bold in my messaging in some ways! Now reading about how Paul was humble in front of his people, and wrote boldly when he was away amazed me! Was it one of his weaknesses? Is it one of our weaknesses. It makes me rethink about my friends' advices!

Well, I think we have some explaination from his people about his action here: "For they say, 'His letters are weighty and strong but his bodily presence is weak, and his speech of no account.' [then Paul responded:] Let such a person understand that what we say by letter when absent, we do when present."

The people claim that Paul wasn't a good speaker and a good confrontation when present. So they criticized him, but Paul defended by saying, "we do when present". Paul is trying to tell them that it is better to act when present like how my power puff coach once signed, "Action speaks louder volume" on my yearbook. Sometimes we don't have to speak when we are present, but to set example by our action! Do we speak less and act more when we are present? Or when we are doing the ministry?

No comments:

Post a Comment