Share and let this blog fly!

Bookmark and Share

Friday, July 15, 2011

Talking Funny Kills

Jephthah led the men against Ephraim. In this war the pronunciation of one word could keep a man alive. They asked, "Are you an Ephraimite?" If that man said no, then they asked him to pronounce, "Shibboleth!" If he pronounced, "Sibboleth!" Then that man is dead. About 42,000 men died for not pronouncing it right. Instead of pronouncing a "sh", those Ephramites would pronounce an "s". So would you say a "sh" for this word? Well I would simply sign, "I am deaf" and fingerspell "S-H-I-B-B-O-L-E-T-H!" And I shall remain alive after this big test even if I am an Ephraimite. Yeah, I know that I would not talk funny. Sorry folks if I easily got away.

There is one thing that I love about Jephthah beside his clever leadership- his background. He was the son of a harlot. He was rejected by his half-brothers. He went out raiding with the worthless men. Yet his brothers decided to ask this thug Jephthah to be their commander. Thus Jephthah earned his position over them. His disadvantage had turned into an advantage.

Now this Jephthah must have a big heart for God and his daughter. He loved God so that he pronounced his vow to give Him whatever comes out of the doors of his house to meet him. Big mistake! His only beloved daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and dancing. Jephthah was torn, but he allowed her to wander for two months of lamenting with her friends. What's so special about this? His daughter was willingly to die for his vow. She said to him, "Let this thing be done for me." She encouraged her father to keep his vow. How she must have loved her father. Thus she died two months later. She is one of few special daddy's girl. She felt fulfilled by her father that she wanted nothing else, but obedience to her father and his God.

Do you know anyone who is willingly to die for you? Maybe and maybe not. Follow those advices: be cautious with what you shall pronounce and be slow to speak.

I think many girls like me long to be like Jephthah's daughter. We all long to be Daddy's girl. And He is watching over us on His throne above us.

No comments:

Post a Comment