Share and let this blog fly!

Bookmark and Share

Monday, February 13, 2012

Weighting Your Spiritual Discipline

My spiritual discipline for this year is to do the morning prayers at the chapel. Five days a week. We also might do three 24 hours of praying and/or fasting this semester. That was challenging enough, isn't it?

That was what I thought even though I still wondered if I could do more. I naturally strive for more and more, I am a long distance runner and I get runner's high. It's the same with the spiritual discipline. There is nothing wrong with that, but I knew that I had to be careful not to get spiritually injured by the excess increase of the spiritual discipline. I think that is what happened to me last summer. I got worn out and I stopped praying in the mornings. My priorities in my spiritual discipline got messed up.

This year I've learned to weight out my spiritual discipline, I hope, to 240 hours of morning prayers at the chapel and nothing more. I've also asked the few to keep me accountable as I keep them accountable. I am serious about it, yet I know that I am feeble. That's where my accountability needs to take place. My other additional spiritual discipline are optional.

Are you staying in your comfort zone despite of your hunger for God? Or are you pushing yourself with off the cliff? Somewhere in the middle are where we are supposed to be. Seeking God.

No comments:

Post a Comment