Share and let this blog fly!

Bookmark and Share

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pre-Fast and Fasting

Our fathers had proclaimed a day of Pray-N-Fast hundred years ago. National Community Church had proclaimed a week of Pray-N-Fast few days ago. I proclaimed to myself, "Pray-N-Fast."

I've decided to fast from coffee and chocolate this week as I continue to explore for more options. Maybe I could skip a meal on a specific day. Maybe I could do a juice fast in the last few days. Or maybe I could eat cheaper. We don't have to limit ourselves with our pre-decisions, but to get deeper and deeper throughout the week. We could even increase our vows to Him throughout our calendar. Start with something small and then increase it according to your hunger for the depth. Let your vow be a vow and your refusal be a refusal, don't overdo yourself with big vows (Matt 5:37). Look into your heart and it will tell you of it's desires. Slow and steady win the race.

What may we replace our fasting with?
I love how Isaiah 58 reminds me that if I fast with greediness, then "fasting like yours this day will not make your voice be heard on high." God is saying that it is not the fasting that God had chosen for us. But God chose the fast that will enable us to give more. To loose the bonds. To break every yoke. To share your food with the hungry. To bring the house to the homeless. To clothe the naked. To be the light to those dwelling in the dark. To take away the pointing of the finger. And to be guided by the Lord in everything you do.

"Deep calls to deep," the 42nd psalmist reminded us. "Yes sire," we said.

No comments:

Post a Comment