Share and let this blog fly!

Bookmark and Share

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A Dog Senses Fear

A dog's sense is said to be a thousand times more sensitive than humans. In fact, a dog has more than 220 million olfactory receptors in its nose, while humans have only 5 million. 110 times more olfactory receptors in dog's nose than humans! Because of this, a dog can locate almost everything. Many agencies would use dogs to locate drugs, search for lost individuals, and even detecting certain types of tumors!

Does a dog smell the fear?

It certainly does by picking up clues through its senses. It can see your hesitation by the sight. Hear your heartbeats even if you are five feet away. Or smell your sweat that came out from your stress horomone, letting it know that you fear it. Maybe you fear a dog once and it chased after you. It might have sensed your fear and thought you as an intruder!

I once petted two dogs by the fence at Ebenezers Coffeehouse while I'm reading. They are harmless, but their owner came toward me and told me to be cautious and not pet them. I stopped although I didn't understand why, they were friendly. But after a week had lapsed, I saw them once again! I knew them! But I also knew that the owner warned once. I reached toward them slowly anyway. And the dog bit me instantly. It did it so quickly as if it didn't even bit me, clever! I pushed my emotions deep into my stomach pit and secretly walked off slowly for I was humbled and hurt. Later my friend, Dasha, encouraged me to see the owner to find out if they are treated for rabies, and they are! I am safe. But it took my cracked-circle nail a while to look pretty once again. After that I'm a bit more cautious with dogs.

1 comment:

  1. Oh really... I was child. I was always like to make dog mad. I was playing on the street next to the fence where dog is behind. Dog barked at me. Poor that dog's owner.

    ReplyDelete