Share and let this blog fly!

Bookmark and Share

Friday, April 29, 2011

A Due Season to PUSH

I've been thinking about 'a due season of PUSH' last evening. While I thought about it, I felt a bit restless. Is it a season of PUSH once again? UGH! This process had begun in my life after a certain Sunday service seven years ago.

Jesus told his disciples "That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of My Father which is in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in My Name, there am I in the midst of them." (Matthew 18:19-20). The disciples were together in one accord in one place. Thus they grew in their discomfort.

On that Sunday seven years ago, the message caught me off guard. I quickly looked up as if the message was delivered to me directly. It goes like this, "Fight!" I was befuddled. In what area of my life do I need to fight for? Basketball? Maybe. I have been hearing and hearing this from my dad, "I know that God called you to be a basketball star. You need to fight. You are timid. You need to be more aggressive." And all that crap. While I'm absorbed into my own thoughts I saw my youth pastors bending their heads in the corner of my eye. I casted my glance toward them. I found them smiling, probably giggling. Oh man, they must have known that God had a word for me. I thought, "Okay... so it's not a secret then." I jotted the note, "From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven has been forcefully advancing, and forceful men lay hold of it." (Matthew 11:12)

I enrolled into Gallaudet University one and half years later, I forgot all about it. It was until a teacher challenged me through the Yawp project. We watched 'Dead Poetic Society' in our honor program First Year Seminar. In this movie, the teacher cures the stutter and inhibition of Todd by making him "yawp" in class. The project was created from this movie to challenge us. I was excited because I loved challenges. So I created some bravery details for this project. But it goes like this. Declined. Declined. And declined!

I was so frustrated! I asked her what I will need to do. She said, "Do something small since big challenges come easily to you." I'm like, "Something small? Like what?"

I had to find out. I sent out few emails. One came from my respectable teacher on 10, October 2005:


"Hi, you are not able to tell your friends from your feeling. You always keep them in yourself. You have to express yourself. That way, you can become a good leader. For example, if the students distrub during your class, you let your teacher take care. And if the student is not taken care of you should speak out to your teacher or the student. I hope it will help you and your project."

I had to gulp because I found something that will force me out of my comfort zone! My teacher finally approved my project. But the discomfort began on that day. And even to this day.

You probably love big challenges like I do. You would get on the stage. You would try something new. You wouldn't be afraid to be alone. But maybe the greatest challenge is to do something small and overlooked? Something that you avoided to do or hate to do? It is time to step out.

No comments:

Post a Comment