Share and let this blog fly!

Bookmark and Share

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Response to Maliciousness (Ps 34-35)

"They repay me evil for good; my soul is bereft. But I, when they were sick - I wore sackcloth; I afflicted myself with fasting; I prayed with head bowed on my chest. I went about as though I grieved for my friend or my brother; as one who laments his mother, I bowed down in mourning."

Can you imagine yourself mourning for the others when they are sick even though they mock, criticize or harm you when you are trying to do what is good? "Love your enemy, do good to those who hate you, bless to those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you," Jesus said to those who are listening.

That is what David did! He had to! He loves God and that's probably the only cure to his anguish against those people. Slander them, hurt them, mock them, envy them, offend them, kill them, or any other avenging actions won't help David. He's probably trapped with those kind of thoughts like most of us would. David was different because he acted against all of those thoughts by praying. He tore his clothes off to put himself into the sackcloth and fasted for his enemies as if they were his close friends or family, David probably say this, "I can't do this on my own! My evil thoughts are trapping me. I need to afflict myself with fasting. Help me, O Lord. Look at them and understand my sorrow for You are the Lord of justice. You know everything. You judge them. I need You!"

"They open wide their mouths against me; they say, 'Aha, Aha!' Our eyes have seen it! You have seen, O Lord; be not silent! O Lord, be not far from me!"

David is man of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment